Domain Name Registration
Choose a domain name
If you’re interested in designing websites professionally, you need to build your own website. In order to do so, first register your domain name and purchase a web hosting plan.
Use a “Find a Domain” feature on GoDaddy, Bluehost or Dreamhost. Check to make sure a potential domain name is available.
Here are my recommendations:
- I recommend securing a domain registration with an ICANN-Accredited Registrar. If you don’t want to sift through the hundreds of companies (okay, there are actually thousands), you may want to consider GoDaddy, Bluehost or Dreamhost.
- The big difference between companies is price and service.
- Registering a domain name with Bluehost may cost more than registering a domain name with GoDaddy. GoDaddy has excellent customer service and has been around forever.
- But GoDaddy is more economical and GoDaddy’s customer service has been impressive recently. (They send both a follow-up email and call new customers to answer questions, wow!)
- Feel free to register your domain name at a different company than the three given above. My recommendations are based on the fact I’ve hosted websites with these three companies, so I’m familiar with their services. (Currently, I’m hosting my sites at Dreamhost.) Whichever company you choose, make sure the registrar you’ve chosen is ICANN-Accredited and you know someone who’s had a good experience with the company.