Domain Name Registration
Choose a domain name (www.domainname.com) for your site.
Before starting a website, be sure to check if a particular domain name is available. Use a “Find a Domain” feature on a website like Go Daddy or Network Solutions. Check here to make sure a potential domain name is available.
If you’re interested in designing websites professionally, you need to have your own website. In order to launch a website you need to register your own domain name and purchase a web hosting plan.
Here are my recommendations:
- I recommend securing a domain registration with an ICANN-Accredited Registrar. If you don’t want to sift through the hundreds of companies (okay, there are actually thousands), you may want to consider Network Solutions, Go Daddy or Dreamhost.
- The big difference between companies such as Network Solutions and Go Daddy is price and service.
- Registering a domain name with Network Solutions costs more than registering a domain name with Go Daddy. Network Solutions has excellent customer service and has been around forever.
- But GoDaddy is more economical and GoDaddy’s customer service has been impressive recently. (They send both a follow-up email and call new customers to answer questions, wow!)
- Feel free to register your domain name at a different company than the three given above. My recommendations are based on the fact I’ve hosted websites with these three companies, so I’m familiar with their services. Whichever company you choose, make sure the registrar you’ve chosen is ICANN-Accredited and you know someone who’s had a good experience with the company.